CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Birth Story...

Sophia Colette Nourse


As most of you know, Sophia joined our family on Thursday, September 27th, 2007. It was the most beautiful (and painful) day of our lives. I am going to share the story over the next several posts, as there is so much to tell.


After our labor date on Tuesday night, I went to bed discouraged because I was not having any contractions. During the night, I woke up to several contractions, but they were very sporadic and infrequent. I woke up Wednesday morning and went to nanny as usual. I started at 9AM, and told Cara that I had been having some contractions, but they had mostly stopped by 7AM that morning. Almost immediately after she left, the contractions started up again, and they were only 7 minutes apart! I was in constant contact with both Jared, and Cara, keeping them aware of the situation. By 2pm, Cara was home and helping me through the "painful" ones (retrospect clearly shows these contractions were nothing in comparison to what was to come). Jared arrived at 3PM. It was at this point that my contractions sped up, and were now only 4-5 minutes apart. Jared drove me to Gary's house, because he has a huge jacuzzi bathtub. I soaked in the warm water for about 20 minutes before we realized it was slowing down the contractions. So I got out immediately. After about an hour, and the contractions were getting more and more intense, we left for the hospital.



This is what the sky looked like on our way to the hospital. God painted us an amazing picture to welcome our miracle into the world.


Jared pulled the car up to the emergency entrance, and I opened my door and climbed out. The second that both of my feet were on the ground, my water broke. Talk about timing! I waddled into the ER, and they wheeled me up to the maternity floor. On the way up, the nurse told me that they only had one room left-- the waterbirth room. Little did she know that we wanted to do a waterbirth! God saved that room just for us. At this point, even though I was in intense pain, I was completely amazed at how God was working everything out. To top it all off, our favorite midwife was on-call, and came in to deliver our baby.

We arrived at the hospital at 6pm, and endured 6 hours of painful contractions before they allowed me to get in the tub. When we arrived, I was dilated to 3cm, 80% effaced and baby was at "0" station. When they finally let me in the tub I was 100% effaced, and baby was at +2 station, but I was only 5cm dilated. It took about 1.5 hours of tub time for me to dilate to 8cm, at which point I got the urge to push. The midwife told me to wait (which was incredibly difficult). After another half hour, I was dilated to 9cm and started to push. After a little over an hour, Sophia made her entrance! Jared pulled her out of the water and held her up for me to see. He told me with amazement, "It's a little girl!"


Jared cut the cord, and then I got out of the tub and onto the bed, where I spent the next 45 minutes cuddling and loving my daughter...




Sophia Colette Nourse


6lbs 13oz


20 1/4 inches long


3:12am, September 27th, 2007


Woodwinds Health Campus


10 comments:

Cara said...

CONGRATULATIONS! She is such a beautiful baby. We loved every moment of our visit, and look forward to visiting you again when things slow down for you at home! Emma misses you TONS..... :) We love you ALL! :)

erin said...

Congratulations, Jared & Naomi! I couldn't be happier for you. God is so good--I'm so happy your birth went just how you wanted.
I can't wait to watch Sophia grow up andbea part of her life. You guys are already wonderful parents. She is a very blessed little girl.

Katie R. said...

Congratulations. Your baby girl is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. May God continue to bless the three of you.

kristi noser said...

I talked with your mom and dad at church this morning. Glad to hear that the feeding is coming along. That is one beauty girl you have there!
Congratulations to you Dad and Mom!
And also to Gramps and Grams!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Aaron and I are so happy for you two! It was wonderful to see all three of you and to share this joyous occasion with you. We look forward to making many more memories with your family.

Love, Sarah

Carla said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful! Welcome Sophia!

Unknown said...

When can Sophie come over to our house and play?

Grandpa Papar

mrs.peanut said...

Congratulations Naomi and Jared! We are so excited for you guys. What a beautiful baby! Love the name too. She looks like such a cute little peanut. :) So glad everything went as you had hoped for. Isn't God good!
The Wasson/Peanut family

mrs.peanut said...

Congratulations Naomi and Jared. We are so happy for you and your beautiful baby. Love the name too! So glad everything went as you had hoped for. Isn't God good! She's a doll..
Congrats to grandparents too!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I'm a student Midwife over in the Uk and I've just read your entire story.

I felt like this was the most appropriate entry to leave a message on. You did so good and I'm glad you had the wonderful, natural birth you were hoping for. You should be very proud of yourself. Your daughter is beautiful and you are truly blessed. Congratulations.